.

A place to help this dude keep track of his thoughts and ideas on his way down the fiber arts superhighway...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Just Swatch Me!

Okay, so Super Cool Crochet Magazine asked for a couple of swatches in lighter weight yarns. I just sent them ten. Do you think that's overkill? I had fun making the same swatch over and over again with different yarns. It's a neat way to see how the stitch combinations appear differently with each one. I also pushed myself and used lighter weights that I wouldn't normally choose. (I'd blame it on my manly hands but my big brother Dan is much larger than me and does incredible lacey thread crochet.) I didn't know that Size 3 cotton would be so easy to work with!

Grand Champion Yarn

I received the box of yarn that I had ordered for the Herrschners Grand National Afghan Contest 2007. Anyone else entering? I love a good contest, especially one where the prize includes a free trip to Wisconsin. (I'm from Michigan so I have a deep appreciation for Wisconsin. According to my brothers when we were kids Wisconsin is where they caught the sun at sunset and shipped it to Detroit overnight so it could come up the next morning. That was cute until I argued with my Jr. High science teacher about it. Am I rambling?) Anywho, the yarn is fun, colors are pretty, I have the design in my noggin, now to get busy with it in my "spare time".

eBay Winnings

I made this afghan a few years ago as a Christmas gift for a family member. I hadn't crocheted in a few years and didn't really know what I was getting myself into. In fact, I thought I could finish it in a week or two. It actually took over a month.

That was 7 years ago and more than once I wish I could ask for it back (what good is it doing in their closet?) But of course that would be weird and in some places wrong, so I just resigned to the fact that someday I could possible inherit it back (creepy - but you know you've done the same thing). Then someone at Crochetville gave the heads up that an afghan was being auctioned and to make this longer than necessary explanation even longer, I bid and won.

Whoever made this one did a fantastic job and used the original colors called for in the pattern (which are long since discontinued). Someone suggested I get a groovy round bed to put it on. I'm thinking I may have it professionally mounted and hang it in the family room. Wouldn't that be amazing?