.

A place to help this dude keep track of his thoughts and ideas on his way down the fiber arts superhighway...

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Attitude of Gratitude

I remember what it felt like to work with computers for a living. I spent the average 6 out of 8 hours staring at a computer, moving data from here to there, running reports for some boss that was scarily close to my age, and dreaming about 5pm. Now as I spend my days toiling away at the 2007 Crochet Pattern-a-day Calendar that old feeling of it's-got-to-be-close-to-Miller-Time has come back full force, intertwined with the once familiar have-only-ten-minutes-gone-by? feeling.

Working on this project has made me appreciate and be very grateful for doing something that I enjoy for a living. While there are several professions that appeal to me, owning a plant nursery, or a bakery, or traveling, crochet is the one that seemed to be the right one. I know now that if the time comes that I have to go get an hourly job again I will be applying at the local nursery, and not Bosses-R-Younger Than You, Inc.

Electricity

I recently switched electric companies to get a cheaper rate. I was convinced that by going with that OTHER company and signing up for 100% wind power that I would be protected from the upcoming price hikes. Wrong-o. Turns out they were charging me an even higher premium rate because somewhere in California they have a couple of wind machines that add a little bit of power to the grid. Anywho, I told you that to tell you this:

As a sign-on bonus I received a gift card to the mall. Now, I could use this gift card at any store at the mall. I could get some cool gadget for my iPod, or some new socks, or a PS2 game... but instead, because I have priorities, this is what I ended up with:
**scratch & sniff**