.

A place to help this dude keep track of his thoughts and ideas on his way down the fiber arts superhighway...

Friday, March 10, 2006

It's not a doll, it's an action figure!!

I received an email from the UK (well, not from the entire UK, it originated in the UK...anywho...) asking for more specific information about the dress I designed for my Mom's doll. (For those of you new to my blog you can read all about the doll by clicking this link here):




In January I submitted this photo of the doll for consideration to be included in a crochet encyclopedia that is being authored by Jan Eaton. I'm hoping the request for additional information means that it is going to be included! **keep yer hooks crossed**

Also when I brought the doll out to look at it closely (to provide the requested details) I discovered it was dirty. Filthy actually. I think Mom must have been leary of washing it because she didn't want to hurt it. I looked it over and didn't see any reason not to! So, I took a chance and threw the dress, petticoat and hat into the washer on the "handwash" cycle. And guess what? It came out clean and as good as new! Whew!!

An interesting discovery that I had totally forgotten was that the petticoat was worked as a separate piece:



Memory Ghan

As long as we're on the subject of past projects (we were, weren't we?) I was emailing my sister the other day and we were discussing what may have been the earliest items that I crocheted (she's a couple of years older than me so has a clearer image of it all). We decided it was a potholder. Believe it or not, that's not the point....(can you tell I'm caffeine free so far today?) Anywho, I told you all that to tell you this:

When I was in high school Mom suggested that I make an afghan using up the scrap yarn she had been collecting for eleventy-seven years. I made granny 'squares' using all different shapes, then joined them together.

What's cool now is to look at the squares and remember the original project that was made with the yarn. It's nuthin' fancy, but I consider it a family heirloom.

PS:

The flowers from yesterday were: Hibiscus, Ranunculus, Rose, Azalea, Rose, Gerbera Daisies, Oregano, and Begonias.