.

A place to help this dude keep track of his thoughts and ideas on his way down the fiber arts superhighway...

Thursday, June 22, 2006

I've Got Mail

When I got off the plane the other day in Albuquerque I rented a car and drove directly to Village Wools, a fantastic yarn shop on the famous San Mateo Drive. If you are ever in the Albuquerque area I highly recommend stopping in, they pretty much have everything, including wonderful people to help you. I dropped off my new little calling card, (remember? it's a Chic on the Halfshell worked up in a yarn that they carry (in this case it was Artyarns Ultramerino 8 - wowza), the pattern printed up to give away, and a set of my business cards.) Pictured here from left to right are Cathlena, Franzi and Sandy. A special thanks to my friend Scout who hooked me up with this great yarn shop! (and who also dyes the most incredible yarns. Don't miss her line of "Hurricane Sock Yarn" with such colors as "Blue Roof", "Damn Debris", "Run Like Hell" and "Storm Surge"!)

Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy

So the day that SCCM1 emailed me saying that they couldn't use my finished designs after all (remember that? I call it Red Wine Wednesday now, although I can't remember if it really happened on a wednesday or not, but there was definitely red wine involved and if it were Tuesday it just wouldn't sound the same. Unless I called it Tepache Tuesday, which sounds more like a Fiesta ParTAY instead of a Pity Party, which is really what it turned out to be...anywho...) I emailed them that day (before the red wine) and asked for feedback because hey, there is obviously a lesson to be learned there! The lovely editor of the magazine (and I mean that, she's really a great person, she's famous, you've heard of her) emailed back a couple of weeks ago but I haven't had the nerve to open it. Isn't that silly? I went to art school so I've been critiqued a lot (it's what happens on a daily basis at art school) and I would like to think that I have a thick skin when it comes to hearing how I can improve. But for some reason that email sits in my inbox. What if it's good news? What if it's the editor saying "we've made a huge mistake, please forgive us, we want to dedicate an entire issue to The Crochet Dude!" Then again, it could be a polite "kid, get out of the business, what were you thinking?" Most likely it's somewhere in between... Meanwhile, I have one new message in my inbox.